Award-winning master hair stylist, product developer, educator, photographer and Biolage Creative Director Luis Alvarez shows you how to create dimensional waves on your fine, straight hair clients. This natural S-wave technique shows you how to stimulate natural waves on even the straightest of hair types using Biolage Thermal Active Spray.
- Prep hair by shampooing with Biolage Hydra Source Shampoo. Add Hydra Source Leave-In Tonic, then blow dry using a paddle brush to smooth out the hair as much as possible.
- Take a one-inch section and lightly spray both sides of the hair for even saturation with Thermal Active Spray. Evenly comb through.
- Use a one-inch curling iron (marcel preferred) to create a spiral curl directed away from the face.
- On the same section, place the iron horizontally two inches away from the scalp while lighting tapping the iron on the section. Shift the iron to the right to start to create an S-wave in the hair.
- Comb through a couple inches and repeat the technique shifting to the left.
- Continue working down the section, always using a light tapping motion and working in the opposite direction until you reach the ends.
- Repeat the steps on additional sections as desired to create natural-looking waves.
- Using a comb or your fingers, comb through to place waves and set with Complete Control Hairspray.
What Stylists Should Know About Repairing Bonds