While clean fades are a barber staple, more clients are allowing the top to grow to enhance their short, medium or long curly hair says Steven Wren (@mrwrencuts), CEO of FadeAWay Barber and Beauty Expo. With some added design for flair, the classic cut gets a modernized and trendy style. To re-create this curly faux hawk, check out Steven’s steps for getting the look.
- Start off by slightly dampening the hair using a spray water bottle and applying SexyHair Healthy Tri- Weave Leave-In conditioner.
- Using a Denman brush, work the leave-in conditioner through the hair for even distribution.
- Apply SexyHair Love Oil to help lock in the moisture of the conditioner and ensure the guest’s hair is properly hydrated.
- Using a quarter-sized amount of SexyHair Style Ultra Curl Cream, apply the product roughly the hair.
- Using a Denman brush and working section by section, brush the curls in an upward motion allowing the natural curl to form.
- Finish with a shot of a diffuser on medium heat for a frizz-free, defined curl and cut look.
A faux hawk is a great style choice. Natural curls are a perfect complement to a smooth fade and hair art design. When working with textured hair, the key to amazing curl definition is moisture. Leave-in or rinse out conditioners and curling creams are essential in maintaining healthy curls.
Maureen is a veteran beauty and style editor having worked at AmericanSalon, Woman’s Day, People StyleWatch and Teen Vogue, and a contributor for CR Fashion Book, Well + Good, Elite Daily and Glam. You can find her reporting on the latest trends from backstage at New York Fashion Week, interviewing celebrities and beauty industry heavyweights, and fashion styling for editorial photo shoots. The self-professed product junkie, super foodie and wannabe hand model is obsessed with rose gold jewelry, the NYC Flower Market and planning her next big getaway.
What I Learned About Beauty From My Abuela