Source: Courtesy of L’Oréal Professionnel
Inspired by the smoky eye, this new smudging color technique brings the top makeup technique to life in haircolor by crafting a customized cool gradient. The smokey smudge is characterized by a cool shadow on the roots, a reflective shade on the mid-lengths and ends, and a flawless smudge in the middle. It can be personalized to every client with a two to four shade blending technique depending on hair length from short to long. To re-create this cool, violet smoky smudge on your next client, check out the step-by-step below.
1. Starting at the lower nape, back quadrant using ½” to 1” zig-zag sections, (depending on hair density), apply Formula 1 to Zone 1 (regrowth area) and the inner “peaks” of each zig-zag focusing on diffusion by smudging from Zone 1 to the upper area of Zone 2 (mid-lengths).
2. Ensure Smoky Smudge Blending Sponge is thoroughly cleaned after each smudge, wiping it with a towel in between formula applications.
3. Continue application, working up the entire head in horizontal (horseshoe), zig-zag sections.
4. Apply Formula 2 to Zone 2 point of diffusion.
5. Apply Formula 2 approaching Zone 3 (ends) by carefully applying in the center of Zone 2, and smudge up and down from the central point.
6. Smudge lighter formula into darker formula for maximum diffusion.
7. Repeat the process with Formula 3 on Zone 3. Be careful to apply in the center of Zone 3 and smudge up and down from the central point.
Stagger the application and depth of the zig-zags to create brighter pops of color and more dimension for curly formations.
Hair Stories Episode 6: Multicultural Hair Care For Kids