When you hear the words ‘lived-in hair’ there’s one person that immediately comes to mind: Anh Co Tran. The celebrity hairstylist and L’Oréal Professionnel Ambassador is the mane master behind the cult technique that has set the hair trend for the decade. By updating the basic lob with soft, A-line, choppy layers and his signature wave styling technique, Tran has created the coveted, cool, it-girl hair that’s often imitated but never duplicated.
And now, he’s added another waving technique to his ever-inspiring styling arsenal for a fresh, modern look with the Nu Wave. “It’s different from lived-in beach waves or Victoria’s Secret bombshell waves. The technique is a modern take on the lived-in, bedhead look,” says Tran. “The effect is more edgy, editorial and better suited for short cuts. It’s supposed to mimic the natural wave.” Here, he breaks down the Nu Wave technique for us.
1. Don’t start too high on the head. Start your section at least one inch away from the roots.
2. Using a 1½ ” marcel iron like Hot Tools Professional Marcel, place the barrel horizontally on top of the sectioned area. Always start waving with the clamp side down.
3. For the first indentation, elevate the hair for added volume.
4. Rock the barrel horizontally from side to side.
5. As you work your way down the section, alternate the direction of the clamp.
6. Alternate the ridges from the section below to create separation.
7. To avoid making creases in the hair, don’t clamp down on the handle.
8. Space out the waves by bending the hair in and out, continuously rocking the barrel to create a soft wave.
9. Work a few pumps of L’Oréal Professionnel Siren Waves for bounce and polish.
10. Finish with L’Oréal Professionnel Tecni.Art Next Day Hair Dry Finishing Spray for added texture.
Photography: Courtesy of Ahn Co Tran
Maureen is a veteran beauty and style editor having worked at AmericanSalon, Woman’s Day, People StyleWatch and Teen Vogue, and a contributor for CR Fashion Book, Well + Good, Elite Daily and Glam. You can find her reporting on the latest trends from backstage at New York Fashion Week, interviewing celebrities and beauty industry heavyweights, and fashion styling for editorial photo shoots. The self-professed product junkie, super foodie and wannabe hand model is obsessed with rose gold jewelry, the NYC Flower Market and planning her next big getaway.