In this updo tutorial, Stephanie Brinkerhoff (@hairandmakeupbysteph) shows you how to create an easy and voluminous braided ponytail. This is the perfect look as you can dress it up or down, plus all the techniques are pretty easy to master. Tune in to learn from the updo expert about her thought process, tips, tricks, and technique. She shows the entire process, including products, tools and secret tips so make sure to stick around until the end.
Kenra Volume Dry Shampoo
Kenra Volume Spray 25
NEW Kenra Volumizing Spray Clay 15
• Apply Kenra Volume Dry Shampoo at the roots to give more grit and texture.
• Softly section hair out that will be used for the braid. Make sure to leave out the crown section into the braid because you want to make sure you have enough hair to create a great shape and volume for the ponytail.
• Working from the nape of the neck and up, backcomb section by section, and lock in at the roots with Kenra Volume Spray 25.
• At each section after backcombing, add light waves to the hair with a flat iron or a 1½-inch curling iron. Continue up through each section, until you reach the crown.
• Now that you’ve reached the crown. At each section, lightly backcomb and saturate in Kenra Volume Spray 25. Create curls closer to the root.
• After backcombing and curling, apply Kenra Volumizing Spray Clay from roots to ends to help build body and volume throughout all of the hair.
• Time to create the ponytail! Gather hair from the back sides (still excluding the hair sectioned out for the braid), working from the bottom and create a ponytail. Leave some hair out on the side that you can use to detail.
• After putting the ponytail up, pull some hair from the crown and sides to look more voluminous and effortless. If working with thick hair, make sure to secure with a hook elastic for extra security.
• Starting our braid section, add some light waves with the flat iron and apply Kenra Volumizing Spray Clay throughout.
• Dutch braid this section. After braided, soften by holding the end of the braid lightly and pancake the braid. Pin into the ponytail.
• Add more Kenra Volumizing Spray Clay to the braid and fine-tune the details
• Hide all pins in the back and add Kenra Volumizing Spray Clay to the pony for more body & texture.