Source: Courtesy of Stephanie Brown
One of the top hair color trends of 2020, gorgeous, shiny brunette balayage has proven staying power. According to Master Colorist at IGK Salon SoHo, Stephanie Brown (@stephaniebcolor), “Brunette balayage is a trend and will be for a long time because it’s low maintenance and grows out beautifully. Most of my clients will get something like this done one to three times a year.” For this natural, dimensional look in particular, Brown used a foilyage/teasylight technique to achieve a soft and pretty sun-kissed color all-over. “You almost want to mimic what your hair looked like as a toddler,” she says. To re-create this effortlessly beautiful hue on your clients, check out Brown’s breakdown below.
- Mix Redken powder lightener with 40-volume developer and Überliss bonder.
- Starting in the back of the head, take thin diagonal slices and tease the hair so you have an already grown out root.
- Foil the entire head in the direction of natural hair growth so the color pops through.
- Avoid doing the top layer of hair so the highlights peek out from underneath.
- Around the hairline, place foils closer together so you have a brighter, thicker face-frame around the front.
- Lift the hair to a level 8 all over.
- Shampoo, rinse and towel dry to check for a gloss.
- Gloss with Redken 8N all-over for 10 minutes.
- Rinse and deep condition with IGK Offline Mask.
Redken Blonde Idol Flash Lift
L’Oréal Professionnel Majicrème 40-Volume Developer
Redken Shades EQ 8N
Redken Shades EQ Processing Solution
Überliss Bond Treatment
Try: Olaplex Intro Kit
Framar Big Daddy Brush
5” x 5” Foils
Try: Product Club Embossed Roll Foil
IGK Offline 3-Minute Hydration Hair Mask
Less is more. This is all-over highlights, but not a full head. You want to be subtle and show more of the natural hair. By teasing the hair a lot, you won’t see where the highlight starts so it’s natural gradation from dark to light as if the hair was lightened in the sun.